The holiday season is a time for celebration, togetherness, and indulgence in the flavors that define the festive spirit. Think hot chocolate, peppermint, eggnog and sugar cookies.
But what if you are trying to limit your sugar intake? At 5Sparrows we believe you should be able to enjoy your favorite holiday flavors without sacrificing your health. If you are looking for low sugar or sugar-free options that still capture the essence of the holidays, look no further. We’ve got you covered.
We put together 5 festive drinks with all the spirit and none of the sugar. Note: many of these can be made with or without alcohol depending on your preference.
Indulging in a cup of this spiced hot chocolate is like wrapping yourself in a cozy blanket of warmth and comfort during the holiday season. This particular recipe takes the classic hot cocoa and infuses it with a delightful array of spices found in our Spiced Chai Drink mix, creating a soul-soothing beverage that's rich in flavor yet free of sugar.
- Prepare a 12 oz hot cocoa according to package instructions using 5 Sparrows Dark Cocoa Drink Mix.
- Add 1 Tbsp 5 Sparrows Spiced Chai Drink Mix
- For an extra kick, add a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Mix well - a mini electric whisk works great for this, but a spoon will do just fine.
- Top with 5 Sparrows Whipped Cream
This smoothie tastes like Santa’s cookies and milk came together in a blender! There’s really nothing more nostalgic around the holidays than sugar cookies. This smoothie is a delightful way to enjoy the nostalgic flavors of sugar cookies without the actual sugar content. This smoothie captures the essence of those beloved cookies while offering a healthier alternative.Add 16 oz of ice to a blender.
- Add 4 oz of your favorite milk or milk alternative, ⅓ cup sugar-free frappe mix, and 1 Tbls Sugar Free White Chocolate Powder.
- Top with 5 Sparrows Whipped Cream and a dash of cinnamon
- Blend thoroughly and enjoy immediately!
Eggnog is a beloved traditional holiday drink, but it often contains a high amount of sugar and carbs. That’s why we wanted to take on the challenge of creating a low-carb version that will allow you to savor the creamy richness of eggnog without the excess sugar content.
- 4 cups milk
- 12 large egg yolks
- ½ c sf white chocolate
- ½ c chai
- 4 cups cream
- 2 ½ cups light rum (Optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Whisk the egg yolks, then whisk in then whisk in the sugar-free white chocolate and sugar-free chai.
- Heat the milk, until steaming, then remove from heat.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture. Do this a few spoonfuls at a time to start, being careful not to cook your eggs! Continue until all of the hot milk is incorporated.
- Return to the saucepan and cook the mixture over medium heat until thick.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Stir in the cream, rum if desired, and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight.
- Recipe adapted from Amazingly Good Eggnog, Allrecipes.com They have a good video.
Hot buttered rum is a classic and comforting drink during the colder months, particularly around the holiday season. Our zero-sugar version retains the warmth and richness of the traditional recipe while cutting down on the sugar content.
This recipe will be your new go-to for cozy evenings or festive gatherings
Here’s how we make them:
1. Bring 12 oz. of water to a boil in a teapot. Pour the water into your
2. Mix in 1 tbsp. 5 Sparrows Sugar-Free White Chocolate,
1 tbsp. 5 Sparrows Sugar-Free Salted Caramel, and
3. Add 1 Shot (1.5 oz.) of Rum
4. Top with a splash of cream (or fat-free milk) if desired.
5. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and serve hot.
This Sugar-Free Candy Cane Martini is a festive and delightful cocktail that captures the essence of the holiday season without the added sugar. It offers the refreshing taste of peppermint and the elegance of a classic martini, all without compromising on sweetness.
- Dip the rim of a martini glass into water.
- Dip the wet glass into a bowl of crushed sugar-free candy canes. Set aside.
- Dissolve 2 Tbsp. 5 Sparrows Sugar-Free White Chocolate powder in 1 oz. hot water. Let cool.
- In a Cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine the white chocolate mix, one shot (1.5 oz.) of vodka, 2 oz. half and half, and 1 drop peppermint extract.
- Shake vigorously and strain into the prepared martini glass.
As you navigate the holiday season, it's important to remember that celebrating doesn't have to be synonymous with high sugar intake. With a bit of creativity and a mindful approach to ingredients, you can still enjoy a festive season with delicious low-sugar drinks that will keep you feeling merry, bright, AND healthy.
So, raise a glass to the holidays, togetherness, and the joy of sipping delightful, low sugar drinks that embody the spirit of the season without compromising your health goals. Cheers!